Day 28 – Putting It All Together
We have covered a lot of ground in this study. This is a huge topic, both in terms of scope and importance. And as with any study, it’s always important to make it about more than spiritual truth or “theory” – it must be practical, and it must be practised. As James said, “Do what God’s teaching says; when you only listen and do nothing, you are fooling yourselves” (James 1:22 NCV). No one wants to be a fool.
In summary, abiding in Christ involves:
- Understanding our identification with Christ
- Understanding what we have in Christ
- Walking continually in the truths we know about being in Christ
- Maintaining an intimate, daily walk with God
- Maintaining a loving, sharing relationship with others, particularly those in the Body of Christ.
Ultimately, our abiding in Christ will yield fruit. In Jn 15:1-11, Jesus repeats His desire for us to bear fruit, tying it to our abiding in Him. We also see a progression:
- V 2 – “bears fruit”
- V 2 – “bears more fruit”
- V 5 – “bears much fruit”
And when we bear much fruit that remains (that is, eternal), God is glorified (v 8).
When we are truly abiding in Christ, nothing can move us from our position in Him. And although the storms of life will come our way, we can stand strong, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.